Friday, August 12, 2011

82 Cave of the Black Dog Part VI - Conclusion


* Wodan's Wilde Jagd (Hunt) by F.W. Heine (1882)


Conclusion

The wind cries softly in the field,
Zephyrs wafting among the long grass.
All who I have known encircle me,
Their lips form many words,
And the sounds imprint upon my ears,
But my friends are all strangers,
And have little to tell me.
This is a place I have journeyed
Many times before, and to which
I will return. Maybe then,
Maybe next time
The words will speak to me.

Drums in the distance,
Howls in the distance,
Fields laid flat by the wind,
Sun blocked by grey,
Sun blocked by blackness
Sun blocked by waters drip
From the high walls of my home

The horn of the Hunter blares in the void
The horn of the Hunter calls the hounds
The horn of the Hunter calls for judgment

“What is your song, Surface man?”
And in my voice I hear,
“The wide waters call to me,
Every current, every ripple,
The ocean’s azure cast,
The seas caressing song
Carving the fisherman’s tale,
Remembering harvests from recent times,
Remembering harvests from ancient times
Remembering the blood and bone of ancestors.”

But the Black Hunter slams down his axe,
Splinters the table before me,
Sound echoing among the hollow chasms
Flame cascading from the grim haft
And the fire crackles from broken wood
And ice crackles in the depths
And the Black Dog’s eyes flare

And the Black Hunter commands
To know the Truth that I carry.

The Hunter passes his hand over his axe,
And commands  again
To hear my song.
His companions fade into darkness
“What is your song?” he cries.
“What is the chant that names you?”

“It is the song of the Black Dog,
“It is the song long lost,
It is the forgotten promise
By which so much has been lost.

It is the beating drum,
The snap of branch,
The breaking wave.
It is broken hope.

It is the forgotten promise,
My soul undone,
The aching gnaw.
It is the place where I return,
Where I rest my fate.”

And the Hunter’s axe –
By right of the Hunt
Strikes deep within my bosom,
Shattering bone and flesh –
My life is lost,
And will soon be forgot.

1 comment:

  1. I just love it when the dead speak to us. With your ending, it is like giving hope of life after, of secrets revealed that were indeed promises made if only by hope and faith. Nice!

    ReplyDelete