Friday, August 5, 2011

78 Cave of the Black Dog Part III



Part III

And shelves of books – these too I remember.
But the book covers were torn, the pages
Filled with scrawl from another place.
The moon often glowed upon the shelves, as if to point
To the answers held there.
But the light burned, and I closed the shutters.
Knowledge, ever dangerous, and in any event,
Unattainable.

Where I lie today, I am aware of life,
Separate and strong, eyes closed
But watching me.

I am in his house now, I live
By his permission. Sometimes,
I forget how this came to pass –
How it is that I have come
From my house to this. And then,
The eyes open, ever slightly
And the cave turns crimson.

I know this place, it is the cave
Of the Black Dog. His breath
Spreads an icy mist, his eyes a cold flame.
He is watching me. Sometimes,
The silhouette of the four-footed
One appears briefly, his double-pawed
Legs padding across his den.

He knows my lament, better than I,
His cold mist, wet across my face
Pricks me into being, slices through the
Dim consciousness that binds me.

I remember a box, given to me as a child
And opened when I became a man.
A shattering light blinded me then,
But too late; my thoughts had been
Safely harbored in one place, now
Scattered, and the eerie dread
Fell upon me like broken timber,
What then, when left alone,
Could I do but count the burning stars,
And position them one by one
Meticulously across the sky.

I remember too, watching the shadows cross
My sleeping-chamber. Though I closed
My eyes, still I felt the movement,
The subtle shift as shades rippled
Across my resting place.

No one worried that the door was left wide open.
I saw it all, I see it still. In the pine grove
Beyond the threshold, her shrouded body cupped
For His grey fingers to wrap around her.
I cried out to her, as I cry out to her still,
Although she had nothing left to say.

Who has left open the door? I cried.
Who let  in the cool, light springtime air –
A terrible lie in the face of the wet earth
That will soon cover us all?

Couldn’t they see the ruby eyes in the marsh grass,
The probing paw, the fangs that gleamed in the moonlight?
I will not be able to shut that door again.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Steve, I love this. Starting from the image and continuing through the poem. There are some wonderful images throughout that set the tone to somber yet anguished. That last stanza's really a great close to this part.

    ReplyDelete