Sunday, August 7, 2011

79 Cave of the Black Dog Part IV


Part IV
* A straunge and terrible wunder
 from the cover of a pamphlet published by Abraham Fleming in 1577


The Beast hungers today
Before the open Cave,
Its fiery eyes a beacon in the mist,
Overlooking the rime-smeared moors.
Astride their ebon ponies.
Shadow  hunters  aim bows of black ash
Toward the sea.
One huntsman sounds his curved horn,
Its sound awakes the Fae of this place
Its sound gives voice to the Vortices
To the Ley Lines that span the sawgrasses,
And a Tempest roars onto the coast
Its booty a sea-farer’s bane
And I am once again beset by dream.

The drums are heavy, like cold wet sand to my ears;
The skins wrap around my heart as they resound,
My chest compressed by the weight.

I do not know the shades here,
but they are my captors.
We walk in silence across a sconce-lit chamber ,
And approach a door.
Black it is, as ebon-laced night,
No moon, no star.
A chant not heard by men
Opens the door, and beyond
An emerald chamber reveals
A  single blackwood table, and two chairs.
A locked wooden chest, rimmed
By tarnished brass trim illumines the room.
Two rounded handles,
Shaped like serpent’s tails, each join a dragon’s
Head where the coils meet at the base.

I know this chest, and I turn away.
But then I hear the howl of the Black Dog
Whipping with the wind far above.
I understand -
“It is the first of many. Do what you must.”

Oh, but I remember this box.

A key is pressed into my hand,
And I think of Life’s many keys,
Drums, a howl and chant -

Not always found, not always used.
But my hand, a disembodied organ
Drums, a howl and chant -
Reaches for the padlock.
An eerie flash of light, and the lid
Glides open. Remove the cloth,
Drums, a howl and chant -
I must remove the cloth.  I lift
Drums, a howl and chant -
The linen, uncovering the chest’s content.
Within, the head of my father stares
His eyes, wide open, and his mouth seems to move
Drums, a howl and chant -
“Why have you done this to me?

Cracking timber and the frost whip of brine-edged wind
Assail me, and I suck up a hurting breath.
“Father, you betrayed me”, I shout.
“Yes, I have imprisoned
You within, for this is the nature of things”.
Drums, drums, drums.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. This really got me involved in the story, in the growing sense of fear and discovery. The pacing is superb, I think. The repetition of drums and howls is well done. The final "drums, drums, drums," is a nice finish. Nice work!

    (Forgive me, but a typo: "And I think of of Life’s many keys,")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susan for the comment and correction. This piece is taking me to some interesting places of discovery and challenge.

    ReplyDelete