Tuesday, August 2, 2011

75 Cave of the Black Dog Part I


Cave of the Black Dog

If a man shall meet the Black Dog once, it shall be for joy;
And if twice, it shall be for sorrow; and the third time, he shall die.

-          S. E. Schlosser, “Black Dog of Hanging Hills”

PART I

Some stories begin
Silently, and others end
The same; this tale begins
With the Crack of sea-surge
Blasting against the falling
Mast in a frenzied foam;
This tale begins
With the Crack of blade-tipped
Whip against horse hide;
This tale begins with the Crack
Of worn wood suddenly giving
Way to the weight borne for
Too many years;
Crack! Says the seaside village,
Bent and broke in the storm fury.
Crack! Says the uncertain pier,
Awash with the freshness of its dead
Young men;
Crack! The stone as it witnesses the
Floating carnage among the shoals.

And I, orphaned by the sudden
Shock of the sea god no longer
Call this village home.

To the mountains I walk,
Called by the ancient stone;
Through the rock split I climb,
Into the cool underworld
Whose waters drip from ashen stone;
Into the place where the shadow-men
Fill their fired-mud casks with
The life-water;
I descend to deeper pools, carving
My way beneath the first and second rock-shelves ,
Where the long breaths of the ice-pack
May be drawn into spirit, and
Where my journey turns.


1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Steve! You get the tone and movement across nicely!

    ReplyDelete