Saturday, July 9, 2011

51 There's a Monster in my Soup


There’s a Monster in my soup, and he won’t let go my spoon,
Mom, you have to help me, he’s reaching for my hand.
He’s got great big hairy ears, and a horrid toothy grin
He’s looking at me funny, and his head can really spin.
His eyes are big as saucers, his claws like silver knives
I’m sure he’d like to eat me; I’m ready if he tries.

He’s telling me come closer, to hear what he has to say,
His eyes are rolling backwards, his feet are shaking dry,
He’s walking on the table, and he’s coming right this way.
I’m taking out my play doh, in case he wants to play.
I’m making a bigger monster, just like you showed me how,
So Monster, don’t come nearer, I’m ready for you now.

"There's a Monster in My Soup" from At the Edge

Thanks to the anonymous child who drew the  Soup Monster so many years ago, and to Susan Gibb, for reminding me that Monsters are still out there.

2 comments:

  1. "I'm taking out my play doh, in case he wants to play." Love that line, and the deviousness that all children possess, as he twists the intent from play into combat: "I'm making a bigger monster," That's so honest and cool.

    How do you make these cubes? What software are you using? Is that a snakehead in the background?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the response, su. The poem comes from a short series of children's poetry I attempted some time ago. I found it interesting to try to get into the mind of a child, and during a period would tell spontaneous tales to wee visitors.

    The cubes are generated from Photoshop CS5 Extended; using the 3D feature. I'm not sure whether the standard CS5 contains the option. And no, there is no snakehead in the background; the tail of a mighty dragon however...

    ReplyDelete